Mth eyes update this Saturday

I will be updating my Etsy shop this Saturday 13 May at 10am Australian Eastern Standard Time.

This time I tried to make the sclera whiter, you can see a comparison photo above. I’m still learning so the surface is a bit more bumpy compared to before, but I don’t think it’s too noticeable in a doll or in photos.

Galaxy eyes~

One of the things I knew I wanted to try making is galaxy themed eyes. In particular I wanted to see if I could make the “stars” float in the eye so that it looks 3D, which I’m very happy to say I’ve succeeded.

This was the first version I made. I’m very happy with the colours, they change a bit depending on the angle you are looking at the eyes from, so for example the red colour is only visible from the side and not from the front. However, I wanted to make the dots smaller and neater next time, and the iris lines are almost invisible so I wanted to make those thicker as well:

This was the second version. I tried a few more colours which all came out nicely, but I think the iris lines are a bit too thick this time:

This was the third version. I wanted to try copper coloured dots, I didn’t expect them to be almost invisible in the pink pair. Looks like white is the best after all:

Since the last update I’m improving on getting those pupils in the centre, and I’ve managed to avoid big bubbles (although I still can’t get rid of all the small bubbles).

The white part of the resin I’m using currently yellows pretty quickly, so reducing that will be my next experiment :)

New Project~

For the past two and a half months I’ve been trying to learn how to make eyes. At one point I did so much sanding I developed thick calluses on my fingertips. It was so strange to not be able to feel the texture of things I touch or pick up.

After lots of trial and error I’ve finally made the first batch where I’m happy with the intensity of the colours. There’s still alot of things I need to improve such as the neatness of the lines, the neatness of the rim, trying to reduce the bubbles and dust that falls in, and for some reason, every pair has uncentred pupils (this is much more obvious as soon as I try them in a doll…). So I still have some practicing to go but I’m happy they are finally starting to look good!